Sticker Price: $8.99/6-pack of bottles
When I started drinking beer, I thought I hated any beer with wheat in it. I’m happy to say I have learned better and generally enjoy them. There are better and there are worse, but Hoegaarden is the standard for me. While it’s a tad more expensive than others in the aisle, it’s worth every penny. It’s even better on tap.
- Rating (5=best): 4
- Nose: Bright grain, coriander, banana, hint of clove.
- Flavor: Crisp citrus, lemon, orange rind, floral notes. Sweet cake with a slight citrus pith or grapefruit bitterness toward the finish.
- Finish: The carbonation whisks it away quickly but look for a cross between a fruity gum and jasmine green tea flavors. Mmm!
- Notes: Lovely fine carbonation gives this a creamy mouthfeel while the bright spicy citrus flavors cleanse the palate. Great for hot weather and fatty foods. Can’t wait for the next barbecue!
- Shilpi: “It was the first beer I drank where I thought, ‘Oh, this isn’t that bad!'”