#25 Modelo Especial
Type: Pale Lager
Sticker Price: $6.99/6-pack of bottles
I love Mexican food. I don’t like most Mexican beer but I find it up and down the beer aisle here in southern California. With some homemade tortillas, grilled corn (Mexican-style with crema, cheese and lime) and some steak in adobo this paired beautifully. However, it isn’t so “especial” on its own.
- Rating (5=best): 2.5
- Nose: Corn, grain, clean grassy notes. Bread.
- Flavor: Not overly sweet corn. Quite bubbly in an over-carbonated way: the bubbles almost burn the mouth. Slightest bit of malt, nearly no bitterness at all. Quite clean and washes out the mouth well.
- Finish: Pleasantly dry but leaving a bit of wet cardboard flavor behind.
- Notes: Very average. Simple to the point of boring. Great mouth-cleansing counterpoint with food but can’t stand on its own.
- Shilpi: “Mildly lightly pleasing.”
#24 Guinness Draught
Type: Irish Dry Stout
Sticker Price: $7.99/6-pack of bottles
I love stouts and remember when I had my first Guinness: it was heavy and satisfying, like a warm blanket or a meat pie. This is nowhere near that experience. It shouldn’t even bear the name Guinness.
- Rating (5=best): 2
- Nose: Canned vegetables, metal.
- Flavor: Watery, not much character.
- Finish: Bitter, burnt grain like burned popcorn. Bit of cardboard. Pleasantly dry.
- Notes: If I want a Guinness, I’ll get it from a tap.
- Shilpi: “It’s very dark-tasting. It’s like Mordor.”