Type: Pale Lager
Sticker Price: $7.99/6-pack of bottles
I picked this one up as it was the cheapest import at the store that day. Good thing it’s hot out and I’ll probably drink anything within reach. I won’t be reaching for this one again.
- Rating (5=best): 2
- Nose: A bit skunky and grassy. Wet hay.
- Flavor: Bright, watery, unsatisfying bitterness.
- Finish: Bitter finish, citrus pith. A bit astringent like quinine.
- Notes: Not very interesting. Refreshing in a watery way but the skunkiness is a turn-off. The bitterness isn’t the pleasant hoppy kind but more the annoying white grapefruit pith kind.
- Shilpi: “It’s refreshing but a little to bitter for my taste.”
#31 Blue Moon Belgian Table Pils
Sticker Price: $12.99/12-pack of bottles
While I like Belgians, I can’t stand Blue Moon’s Belgian White (review forthcoming). However, I’m a sucker for seasonal brews and I wanted to give this a chance before it’s gone. FOMO. It’s less cloying than the white but is so tame it’s forgettable.
- Rating (5=best): 2
- Nose: Canned vegetables, stale malt, wet cardboard, grass.
- Flavor: Malt syrup, slightly citrusy, sweet with tiniest bit of sourness. Very bready.
- Finish: Corn syrup, bit of the orange peel, fades fast.
- Notes: Not bad, not great. Surprisingly heavy-bodied for what should be light and crisp. More bitterness would make it more enjoyable, especially as a summer beer.
- Shilpi: “Tastes like PBR but a bit more sour.”
#30 Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale
Type: Blonde Ale
Sticker Price: $8.99/6-pack of bottles
Probably knowing this is brewed by a Hawaiian company colors the tasting notes on this very mellow and refreshing ale. Regardless, this beer does go great with the summer heat and sun.
- Rating (5=best): 3.5
- Nose: Mango, passion fruit. Tiny bit of wheaty nuttiness.
- Flavor: Fruity and crisp with just a hint of hop bitterness. Grapefruit, apricot.
- Finish: Clean and thirst quenching. Very refreshing.
- Notes: While not very distinct on its own, this is an easy drinking beer perfect for relaxing or with food. I’ll definitely keep it in my summer cooler.
- Shilpi: “I find it refreshing and tropical.”